By USA Swimming | Thursday, March 5, 2020
As we continue to monitor developments of the Coronavirus (COVID-19), we would like to remind you of important information resources and suggested safety measures everyone can follow.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) continues to stress general precautions to prevent the spread of communicable diseases:
- wash your hands often;
- cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze;
- avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe;
- get a flu shot to protect yourself and others from the flu, which has similar symptoms to COVID-19;
- stay home when you are sick, and away from the pool and from fellow team members.
USA Swimming will work with, and follow, all guidance and protocols issued by the CDC, state and local public health departments.
Both the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO) have published recommendations/guidelines for gatherings and healthy travel. For members planning to host or attend sanctioned events, we encourage you to request updates directly from event organizers, who should be actively communicating with local health professionals.
We strongly encourage everyone to seek further information using the CDC and the WHO websites:
Questions or personal concerns regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) should be directed to your local healthcare provider.
This is a dynamic situation and we will provide additional information as necessary for our membership.
Thank you for taking every precaution to protect yourself and others.
Tim Hinchey III
USA Swimming President & CEO